Academic Figure Painting
March 3 – March 28, 2013
TUITION : €2500
Does not include accommodation
We have landlords with wonderful accommodation at great prices
This painting course is an intensive course in the Academic method of painting and drawing in oils. The course is open to all levels of artists, as the teacher will approach each student on his or her level. There is no portfolio required for this course. Any one may apply.
In this 4 weeks course you will learn about classical approach to a nude figure painting. Students will learn about painting through use of a sight -size method .
The sight size method will be introduced through a direct painting on the canvas using a single transparent color value. In this part of the process main goals are to achieve the accuracy in proportion and gesture.
The next step is to introduce simplified flesh tones through a use of limited palette.
The goal is to make a distinction between model being a solid form vs the surrounding space/background or atmosphere.
Process continues as the palette extends in order to achieve life like flesh tones and an accurate sense of light.
Students concentrate on subtlety in temperature shifts between warm and cool.
In the final part of the course students will learn about various brushwork techniques and paint handling .
All of the important steps will be preceded by instructors demonstrations.
Instructor will be painting along the side with the students during the entire duration of the course.
Jura Bedic completed his studies at The Florence Academy of Art in 2002, and became a principal instructor, first in the Intensive Drawing Program, then in the Painting Program. He has participated in group exhibitions in numerous galleries in the United States, as well as alumni exhibitions organized by the Academy in Germany and Florence.
Bedic is the winner of the 2001 Art Renewal Center International Scholarship Competition, and his work is featured in an article in American Artist’s “Drawing” Magazine, 2003, “Classical Approaches to the Teaching of Drawing.” In 2007 he won “The best in Show” award in the F.A.A.’s 3rd Annual Alumni Exhibition. He continues to paint and teach in Florence, Italy.
Jura will now teach the academy method of painting every year here at Flemish Classical Atelier.
INSTRUCTION: Demos and on the easel critiques.
CLASS HOURS: 9am to 4pm with lunch at 12 noon. Classes are 6 hours a day, five days a week, Monday to Friday.
APPLICATION: To apply for this course:
1. Download and read our studio rules.
By filling out the application, you agree to our studio rules.
2. Fill out the application form completely
3. We will admit students on a rolling bases into the program until the maximum number is reached.
4. When you are admitted into the program, you are required to make your payment using paypal/credit card. If you prefer to make payment via bank transfer, please email moc.reiletalacissalchsimelfnull@oiduts for instructions on how to proceed.
5. Tuition is non-refundable. Should the Flemish Classical Atelier cancel the course for any reason, fees are refunded. All fees are due upon registration.
6. You may make your own living arrangements. There are landlords who will give our students special prices for long term stay. You can share this housing with 2 other students. There are 2 bedrooms and 3 bedroom housing.
7.If you have any questions, or if we can assist you in any manner, please send us an email