Painting the Contemporary still life June 17 – 28, 2019 (60 hours of instruction)
**Course fee: €1300 (Pay a low down payment of €500, then pay the balance in two installments. This offer is only valid until July 1, 2018)
Painting the Contemporary Still Life is a 10-days oil painting course focused on Realist painting using modern day methods to achieve the effects of the Old Masters. It is open to anyone who paints in oil, from beginner to advanced. Students will learn a layered indirect painting technique, incorporating underpainting, layering and glazing. We will explore a variety of techniques for realistically creating the illusion of different surface textures, as well as how to achieve rich color and depth of form to create a luminous work of art with a high level of finish. We will also learn how to use Photoshop as a tool to create more successful paintings. Emphasis will be placed on design, composition, and lighting to create a dramatic still life set up. Working from direct observation, we will cover the basic elements of painting in oil – from the initial drawing on canvas, to color, value, edge control, glazing/scumbling, and final varnishing. Students will begin with a simple still life using one object, and advance to a complete narrative scene incorporating food and drink of their choice. Through demonstration and individual instruction in a fun and relaxed atmosphere, students will be guided through the entire process from the first drawing on the canvas to the finishing flourishes.
Bio: A member of the American Society of Portrait Artists & Oil Painters of America, and the mother of three, Procious is married to Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist Clay Bennett. Recent empty nesters, they live in the historic Southside Chattanooga, with the blinking lights of the Chattanooga Choo Choo as their backdrop. Procious is represented by Principle Gallery in Alexandria, VA, The Legacy Gallery in Scottsdale, AZ, Haynes Gallery in Nashville, TN, Susan Powell Fine Art in Madison, CT., and The Hearle Gallery in Chatham, MA.
DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTOR'S MATERIALS LIST
Free video instruction from instructor
INSTRUCTION: Demos and on the easel critiques.
CLASS HOURS: 9am to 4pm with lunch at 12 noon. Classes are 6 hours a day, five days a week, Monday to Friday.
APPLICATION: To apply for this course:
1. Download and read our studio rules. By filling out the application, you agree to our studio rules.
2. Fill out the application form completely.
3. We will admit students on a rolling bases into the program until the maximum number is reached.
4. When you are admitted into the program, you are required to make your payment using paypal/credit card. If you prefer to make payment via bank transfer, please email email@example.com for instructions on how to proceed.
5. Tuition is non-refundable. Should the Flemish Classical Atelier cancel the course for any reason, fees are refunded.
6. You may make your own living arrangements. There are landlords who will give our students special prices for long term stay. You can share this housing with other students. There are 2 bedrooms and 3 bedroom housing. Click for Accommodation list
7. If you have any questions, or if we can assist you in any manner, please send us an email