An Historical Approach to painting techniques
Course fee: €1500
The rejuvenation of painting and the pedagogical methods that provide for its instruction would require a reevaluation (through close reading) of information embedded within the narrativity of technique. This calls for an historical approach that traces, through the different technical strategies of painters, threads of argument concerning the nature of pictorial thought.
With a focus spanning the area between execution and theory, students will develop a deeper awareness of the choices they make regarding technique . They will develop a clearer understanding of the historical origins and precedence of their own aspirations as painters and be able to place their explorations within the context today’s horizon of expectations.
In this workshop we will examine the development of the “idea” of form in western art as the key rational signifier originating with the birth of perspective. The color revolution initiated by Delacroix and galvanized by subsequent artists will be understood in relation to the classical optics of illumination.
During the session, our focus will be on the classical model of illumination, and the sound construction of masses in space. Indirect method will be employed with emphasis placed on degrees of opacity, transparency and translucency.
Color will be addressed in relationship to light and separated into chroma (the effects caused by the temperature of light) and local color.
Click for accommodation list
Download supply list
INSTRUCTION: Demos and on the easel critiques.
CLASS HOURS: 9am to 4pm with lunch at 12 noon. Classes are 6 hours a day, five days a week, Monday to Friday.
APPLICATION: To apply for this course:
1. Download and read our studio rules.
By filling out the application, you agree to our studio rules.
2. Fill out the application form completely
3. We will admit students on a rolling bases into the program until the maximum number is reached.
4. When you are admitted into the program, you are required to make your payment using paypal/credit card. If you prefer to make payment via bank transfer, please email email@example.com for instructions on how to proceed.
5. Tuition is non-refundable. Should the Flemish Classical Atelier cancel the course for any reason, fees are refunded. All fees are due upon registration.
6. You may make your own living arrangements. There are landlords who will give our students special prices for long term stay. You can share this housing with 2 other students. There are 2 bedrooms and 3 bedroom housing. Click for Accommodation list
7.If you have any questions, or if we can assist you in any manner, please send us an email